Did you know 41% of pet parents are stressed they wouldn't have the money to pay for their pet's medical bills in case of an emergency?
Keeping a pet is not cheap. The cost of raising a dog can reach up to $20,000, and the cost of raising a cat is close. Given that pets are such a big investment, buying pet insurance for your animals may seem unnecessary. However, in the long run, it can help you save thousands of dollars and give you peace of mind.
While no one wants to think about their pet getting involved in an accident, the truth is that accidents do happen and many a times, without any warning. Consider this: a dog getting bitten by a snake requires more than $500 in veterinary fees and medicines. If the pet ends up with an orthopedic or cardiac problem the cost may rise to a few thousand dollars or more, depending on severity of the condition. (If you have an exotic pet, these cost is much higher!) If you don't have the amount ready for when the emergency arrives, you might have to take the decision of putting your beloved pet down.
Most pet insurance providers cover the veterinary charges related to illness, health problems and accidental injuries. Therefore having pet insurance saves you from these troubles and ensures that your pet can have a confident recovery, without becoming a liability to your financial stability.
Points To Remember When Choosing Pet Insurance
There are several pet insurance providers in the market at the moment and it can get quite overwhelming for a regular pet owner to pick out the best option for their pet. We understand this problem and will help you select a pet insurance provider by reviewing the top companies. Before we begin, here are a few considerations:
- Generally, most pet insurances are directed towards cats and dogs, but there are some companies which give out insurances for other animals as well. You need to be wary of the insurance company’s policies when buying an insurance.
- The policies are usually easy to understand and are similar to health insurances for humans. However, many pet insurances companies play with words and have fine prints under their policies which many pet owners ignore. It is mandatory to clear all doubts you may have regarding an insurance, and it is recommended that you make sure that the covered benefits and limits are okay for your pet’s breed and lifestyle.
- Some insurance companies may advertise an ‘unlimited benefits package’ or an ‘unlimited coverage’, but these are usually gimmicks and there is a set maximum that the insurance provider can give for an accident or illness.
- Usually, there is a general waiting period for all insurance plans before you can apply for coverage, but some providers even have a waiting period for different accidents individually.
- Pet insurance does not cover any preexisting ailment as it is a preventive measure for any future problems. Most providers will not let you buy a policy if your pet already has symptoms of a disease or any other health condition.
- Most insurance policies enable you the capacity to modify your deductible, repayment rate, and coverage limits. The extent of customization depends on the cost of the package you buy.
Our Top Picks
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
Healthy Paws is one of the most popular pet insurance provider in the United States. It is highly rated, having an A+ rating by Better Business Bureau, and was voted number one in consumer satisfaction by Consumer Advocate Group. This reliability along with Healthy Paw’s optimum pricing makes it highly recommended for all pet owners.
The company offers three annual deductible levels: 100, 250 and 500 USD, and three vet bill payout percentages: 70, 80 and 90 percent, which is very impressive compared to the alternative insurance companies. Additionally, there is no accidental or lifetime limit for coverage in any of their policies. Moreover, when you meet your yearly deductible, all accidents-secured occurrences will be paid for that year, while most organizations pay back after every accident deductible has been met. Along these lines, if your pet is usually prone to illnesses or injuries or you want to take precautions, Healthy Paws policies are the way forward. Since most genetic and inborn conditions, and in addition hip dysplasia, are covered by Health Way, if your particular pet breed is susceptible to incidents, the insurance is a pretty logical option to take.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the company provides most of its plans at a lower premium cost than majority of the competitor companies, with no crazy fine prints or lack of support, keeping all of its customers happy for life.
- Many plan options to fit your need
- No caps on coverage or silly fine prints
- Top notch customer service
- Genetic and congenital conditions supported
- Lower premium prices than competition
- Overall best value for money
- Veterinary visits and therapies not covered
- 12 month waiting period for hip dysplasia
- Age restrictions
- No wellness plan
Whenever good pet insurance providers are being talked about, the name of PetPlan is always mentioned. The company has been one of the most consistent pet insurance providers in terms of plan and support quality.
PetPlan offers completely adaptable plans without any cutoff points, which enables you to pay for what you think you will require. This is extraordinary as it could bring down your month to month premium since you are not compelled to pay for an unlimited coverage with the company. New approach choices were presented recently that takes into consideration pet owners considering Petplan to make a plan themselves to best address their pet's issues and spending plan with a choice of maximum yearly coverage starting from $2,500, yearly deductible starting from $100 to $2500 and repayment percentages of 70, 80 and 90, much like Healthy Paws. If you have a large dog (which are more prone to hereditary problems) you will love the insurance plans here as Petplan covers both inherited and innate diseases and does not have age confinements, making them genuinely rare in the pet insurance industry. (Once more, ensuring your pet up at an early age will allow you to maximize the benefits of the company's policies.)
What we acknowledge most about PetPlan is that they are very clear about what your obligations are as a pet parent and what they do and don't cover so there are no speculations involved. The company is among the best regarding customer satisfaction and their support team is always accessible in this with 24-hour service through online and offline means.
- Versatile plans with no limits
- Great customer support
- Policies are easy to understand and clear
- Inherited and congenital conditions, hip dysplasia supported
- No age restrictions
- More pricey than other alternatives (Healthy Paws)
- Premium increasing rate higher than alternatives
- Annual health and dental check ups required for coverage to validate
- No wellness plan
- Customers report regular payment delays
VPI insurance (Veterinary Pet Insurance) began providing pet insurance in 1982 under the brand Nationwide. In 2014 all of Nationwide’s insurance companies joined under the one brand.
In general, Nationwide is a truly solid insurance supplier, particularly for parents of large or exotic pets. For dogs and cats, Nationwide has 2 principle pet insurance frameworks setup in addition to an emergency plan. The basic Economical plan covers mishaps and wounds, sicknesses, and surgeries. It has a yearly maximum limit of $7,000. The second arrangement is the Comprehensive plan, and it supports heredity issues in addition to everything in the Economical plan. It has a yearly limit of $14,000. There is also an Emergency plan, which is expected to be used in times of crises for major and urgent treatments. It also has a yearly limit of $14,000.
For all the plans, Nationwide allows you to pick deductible charges of $100, $250, and $500 and has a 14 day standard holding up period after enlistment before coverage begins. The company also doesn’t have a set reimbursement percentage, but instead has different amounts which it gives under different conditions. It is also the only large and reputable company to give insurance to a large range of exotic animals, with the costs depending on the type and age of the animal itself.
- Has wellness plans
- Supports exotic pets insurance
- Low monthly costs
- Unlimited claims
- 24 hours support
- No reimbursement percentage
- Wellness plans not country wide
- 14 day waiting period
- Recent BBB alert for bounce checks
- No exact plans for exotic animals
Nobody anticipates their pet becoming ill or getting harmed. However it can happen. That is the reason buying a pet insurance is a wise choice to make so that no unforeseen incident can put you or your beloved animal in a tight spot. Ideally, you will never need to make a claim on your pet insurance, however you'll be happy you have it in the event that you do.
We strive to bring you one of a kind, unprejudiced reviews through a thorough research and customer survey. Our reviews are continually being updated to make certain that you always get the best possible insurance for your pet and we hope that our efforts have helped you in finding a suitable pick.